Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Lawrence
Topic Author

Flying south manchester (Altrincham) or near by

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Does anyone fly in the Altrincham area?

Fancy meeting up to fly some kites (any maybe teach me some new kite flying tricks).

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Most of the freestylers in your neck of the woods come here from time to time butyou could also try asking them direct as well. Really nice bunch of folk btw.

Bryan

jaydub

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Not quite Altrincham, but I live in Marple. I'm always struggling to find time for flying, so I mostly end up flying at Lyme Park. Not the best flying site, but being NT run, it's completely chav free. :D

Stuart B's probably the closest experienced flyer to you and I believe he flies at Hough End Playing Fields, but he's a bit like me and sneaks out to fly when he can.

One of the issues flying in Manchester is the almost total lack of good flying sites, so most of us will be seen heading further afield when we get a chance.

If you've got transport, probably your best bet if you are a dual line flier is to jump in a car and head towards the Dips at New Brighton on the Wirral or towards Otterspool Promenade in Liverpool, where most of the NW fliers tend to congregate.

There's more trick flyers at the Dips, but I've no idea whether they have a regular flying time, whereas the group at Otty will be there practically every Sunday.

There's also a group of (mostly Rev) flyers who fly at Ainsdale Beach most Saturdays, which has to be one of the best flying locations in the North West and is also worth a try.

HTH

StuartB

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm

I believe that there has been a bit of a move to Crosby by some NKG flyers. The Otterspool pub is being transformed into some other kind of chain eatery at the moment so apparently the toilets are not available for use by kiteflyers. Having said that I don't frequent either much at the moment, but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly. Current weather forecasts don't look good but I'm not going to be anywhere near you for the next few days anyway.

Maybe we can organise a get together sometime. In the meantime I intend to go to the better flying day at Hinckley on 16th November.