Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Vliegeren in Amsterdam???

Tue May 16, 2006 7:39 am

I live in Amsterdam, and since picking up this mental condition (wanting to fly all day every day), I can't find THAT place to fly...you know the really reliable always deserted place. I need a place that I can go right after work on a good day and always find the wind and space I need.

Can anyone help me out with a location around A'dam that is not filled with naked people lying in the sun every afternoon?

The Netherlands has it's share of wind. I know how to find it on the weekends. I am really looking for a metro-kiting spot, or should that be urban-kiting?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ogre

Tue May 16, 2006 9:27 am

that is not filled with naked people lying in the sun every afternoon?

And you want somewhere ELSE to fly??????
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 am

You may have better luck asking on here (assuming you speak Dutch):
http://www.vliegerwereld.nl/phpBB/index.php

bensontwins

Tue May 16, 2006 11:07 am

IJmuiden is a good place but not realy in Amsterdam.
and are you near the harbor in A'dam?

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 3:16 pm

First off, thank for the responses. I am new to this whole discussion board thing...and kiting. I have been on the Dutch board suggested by Craig, but I thought since Lars and Paul are always on this site, why not post here? I was hoping they might answer...without harrassing them directly. Lucky me!

I normally fly in the Westerpark most days, except in the warmer months. The Dutch love their sun when they can get it. Thus, I can't fly in the Westerpark in the summer because there are so many sunbathers...and they don't like my kite flying over them and their kids. If there were many attractive single women sunbathing actually naked, I probably wouldn't even get the kite out. In reality, it's just alot of kids, blankets, and people chillin'.

BensonTwins: Yeah, actually, I live really near the harbor...just on the Haarlemmerweg across from the Westerpark. I can bike to the IJ in 3 minutes...have you a secret spot? It would be quite exciting to happen run into you guys flying nearby me!? I was also thinking of scouting Noord A'dam but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Fingers crossed! By the way, saw you fly at Duiven...you didn't disappoint despite the low wind. Lars, you are a real inspiration to those like me, starting "late" and still feeling a kid's passion for it. Dank je wel voor alles, videos en zo!

jay

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 am

Hey, after finally posting something on the board suggested by Craig (thanks again), I got in touch with some other Dutch folks. That helps.

Thanks again for all the replies.
jay