Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

stackuk
Topic Author

UK Freestyle (Trick Thang) National Championships

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:10 am

The first round of the “Trick Thang” format freestyle competition was run at Southampton, and was a resounding success. Six competitors taking part in a rapid fire 90 second freestyle shootout over two rounds. A certain Mr Goff was in devastating form (all weekend!) and pretty well blew the competition away. Only Matt Binns could get close to him with an 8.5 in the artistic category.

The results have been posted at:

http://www.netspaces.com/kitefly/articl ... ndings.pdf

The round winner scores 100 and the rest of the competitors scores are factored against the winners score. Hopefully this means that competitors that are unable to travel will be able to score competitively against competitors in other regions.

There may be a few comments/queries about the way that this has been done. Please post/send them through. Now is the time to get this sorted out.

:D
STACK UK

abw

Re: UK Freestyle (Trick Thang) National Championships

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:22 pm

stackuk wrote:
The round winner scores 100 and the rest of the competitors scores are factored against the winners score.

Doesn't this just confuse the issue? From looking at those scores, you can only tell that Chris won, etc., but not what scores they actually achieved. It also means that the winner of a competition in which only a few people turn up (and we'll assume Chris isn't one of them) can score the same 100 points for a mediocre performance that Chris scored for his super-stellar performance at Southampton.

I'd prefer to see each pilot take their actual final score out of 20. Best three scores from the season gives an overall score out of 60. Apart from anything else, there's less to compute and less to go wrong.

A

Chris Goff

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:46 pm

I think Abw has a point. The only thing being that wouldn't this mean there would have to be at least one of the same judges each round to keep score relitavly consistant. (sorry about spelling)

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:02 pm

This will always be a problem. Someone could win one week with a score of 60 and come last the next week with a score of 70. Surely there needs to be something in place to give a value to each score relative to the other scores like a grand prix type scoring thing.

How is it done in the winter leagues where you have best of 2 out of 3 counting towards your final score for a venue?
Jason.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Yes, Chris has hit the nail on the head. I would very much like to go with a points-based system. However, this is fair only if all of the competitors attend all of the competitions, and if the scoring panel is consistent (ah ha!).
I will rework the scores on the basis of the raw results and post these so that you can see the difference. I am not particularly fond of any particular solution. I just want to use the one that is perceived to be correct by everybody.
Andy

SteveB

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I agree with Chris & Andy- though I think calling chris' performance 'super-stellar' is selling him somewhat short! When he flew the same routine on Saturday I was compelled to give Chris a standing ovation. And watching chris perform the same routine 3 or 4 times over the weekend, one is inevitably impressed by the fact that it was indeed a very clever routine, not just chris being very clever to a piece of music. In particular, I loved the repeated snap lazys to the laughing theme (don't ask me why but that really worked for me - call it 'art') and the backspins/windmills combinations (obvious but effective). Did anyone manage to video it? Did I say that for me, it was the best ballet I have seen by anyone? Ever. Awesome!

On a slightly different tack, watching Chris did make me ask myself the question... what sort of competition format would actually give chris the credit that that performance deserved....

Not tricks party: combinations are not adequately rewarded. That was a beyond TP performance.

Not IRB... the judges arn't adequately able to reflect the difficulty in the score.

Not TO - obviously. It's just a different format

And while TT is probably the best extant solution, It's still a bit 'finger in the air' (IMHO) for what was a precision freestyle performance par excellence

Scratches head and wanders off....
Gotta fly,

Steve

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Did I say that for me, it was the best ballet I have seen by anyone? Ever. Awesome!

Yep. It is right up there on my book too. IMHO there are few flyers at the moment to match Chris in this sphere of flying (full-on Freestyle).

Not IRB... the judges arn't adequately able to reflect the difficulty in the score.

Hmm. At the risk of diverting this thread, I disagree. As one of the judges in that competition, I think that the IRB-based competition is perfectly able to reward flyers like Chris for a performance like that.

It does however depend upon the judges and their background though. STACK UK does not have enough regular judges with trick flight skills. I have to admit that I re-discovered my passion for judging last weekend. Anyone else interested?
Andy

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:43 pm

I have to admit that I re-discovered my passion for judging last weekend. Anyone else interested?

I know how to kill a thread dont I?
:badgrin:

Okay. I have re-crunched the scores as per the discussion and posted the new results here;
http://www.netspaces.com/kitefly/articl ... ngsRaw.pdf

Yes, I agree that it shows relative performance. However, it also looks to me like everybody scored really badly (Chris Goff scored *only* 18.5!!).

Therefore I have prepared another set of results, showing percentage scores ((result/20)*100):
http://www.netspaces.com/kitefly/articl ... gsRaw2.pdf

This is the best of the lot I think, and the one that I intend to go with unless anybody objects. Does anybody object? Or are you all on the road to Washington?
Andy

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:00 pm

No objections, just happy to join in and play along.

It's nice having chris around and competing to carry on raising the bar as far as i'm concerned btw.

Bryan