Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

BAZ

W-Shaped 4 Line Kites (Non Rev)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:12 am

I didn't go by the original artwork. Plus at the time I had teal icarex not green. It doesn't affect the way it flies though lol

fourmatic

Re: W-Shaped 4 Line Kites (Non Rev)

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 pm

daz larsen wrote:
Had a look at there site and there selling the kites that started the whole previous thread
And this is ok
Here's the picture I put on the before and got a bucket load of harsh comments
Confused

All the best
Daz

this is a copy of Flight Mode II JX-1750 Power Traction fro US. High end quality and same tappered carbon rods.3 frame LE+2 shafts.weight is aprox 250 gr.

http://extremekitesusa.com/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=2

I have tested this month a Rev-Barressi-Vent.Compare with this one, do not see much difference.Both are easy to fly.This one is a little bit faster..Quads is another dimension thought. For quad lovers a good deal.A little bit dissapointed with REV.Need to be a Pro with Revo kites to understand why they cost so much..design? brand? coz precision the same..

Jezza
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:40 pm

fourmatic wrote:

this is a copy of Flight Mode II JX-1750 Power Traction fro US. High end quality and same tappered carbon rods.3 frame LE+2 shafts.weight is aprox 250 gr.

http://extremekitesusa.com/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=2

I have tested this month a Rev-Barressi-Vent.Compare with this one, do not see much difference.Both are easy to fly.This one is a little bit faster..Quads is another dimension thought. For quad lovers a good deal.A little bit dissapointed with REV.Need to be a Pro with Revo kites to understand why they cost so much..design? brand? coz precision the same..

I think you'll find that "Flight Mode II JX-1750 Power Traction" IS a Chinese Albatross 2009-10 model quad line kite 'rebranded'. Alba kites have various bits on them unique to that company you just have to know where they are.
If you buy it from 'Extreme kites USA' you pay £170 instead of £80 which is double the price. If you look elsewhere in the website you'll find Albatrosses yellow, black and white 'Blast' like kite which is around £200. Also If you also look at the 'branding' its actually a photoshop font superimposed over the photo of the kite.

I find it kinda funny and sad at the same time that an American company is importing Chinese Quads then rebranding them as their own American kites after doubling the price. I don't resort to violence often unless threatened but If I had brought one of those for £170 and found out it was an £80 chinese quad I'd be heading to Houston with a large baseball bat for a refund.
Clearly, I'm part of the problem.

Jezza
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Thinking about it.... Extreme kites USA is probably a chinese owned shop.
People from the rest of the world pay $130 and the Americans pay $279.00, its basic Chinese economics.

sailor99

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Same old, same old. Not sure if the link will work as its to facebook so may not be accessible if do not friend the originator of the thread. But it's basically a picture posted by li lei of some albatrosses and then a bunch of people shouting that they are fakes, counterfeits, illegal, dum-de-dum.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... hoto_reply

Andy S
King of FA

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am

Looks like it's been removed completely now.

sailor99

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 pm

It got so personal I decided to kill the thread from my profile. I thought kiting was supposed to be mature and friendly.

The summary was that a guy from Albatross had posted a pic of some WS4LKs. And several people from a land to our west said they were fakes, knockoffs, etc. I made the points that they could not be fakes as they were not using rev branding and rev no longer had a US patent (let alone worldwide). And made the point that by making false accusations the cause against Chinese cheap kites was being damaged. Personally I cannot support Chinese makers who don't support us kite flyers or invest in technical development, but that doesn't mean you can victimise the people who disagree with that view and choose to buy Chinese kites. Nor is that a licence to accuse people with no grounds of illegal or unethical practices. Anyway, the 'revised' argument, now that all the previous arguments have been exposed, is that the W shape is copyright. I so would like to see an attorney try and argue that a shape, effectively a technical feature, previously subject to a patent (which shows it to be outside the scope of copyright) Is subject to copyright. Apart from anything else it would walk all over the principle of time limitation of patents. just to be clear nobody from Rev said this, just a couple of their disciples.

So for my trouble to try and show them there belligerence is damaging a cause which I happen to have much sympathy for, I got called names and accused of being an importer of illegal products into the US of A. That's the second time some lame-brain has accused me of dishonesty and tainted ethics and frankly I find that personally insulting, especially as I'm not even in the kite business. It's like dealing with a bunch of religious zealots of the worst kind.

Oh well. I'll have to try and remember to take the chill pills in future.

Jezza
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 am

I have to agree sailor, its bordering on zealotry, but it has been for a while I think.
I'm afraid the cat is out of the bag with the designs, unless they create something new which is locked down tighter than a squirrels nutsack they will be open to people 'emulating' the design. A little like when Karl Benz came out with the car.. everything since has had the wheels, steering wheel and pedals in the same place :)

Its funny because I know of at least 2 bespoke 'W' sail builders in the UK who completely bypass Revolution and will source the whole spar/line/kit and kaboodle if needed. They've never done illegal counterfiets or anything like that and afaik arnt breaking copywrite in the UK. I think the italians have a few really good 'W' builders too.
I'm looking forward to the festivals next year when the 'offical' Rev flyers turn up and see Chinese, British and Italian W's all over the shop. I know half a dozen people who have stopped buying rev's just because of the attitude they appear to have adopted. I'm one of them.

Zippy8

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 am

sailor99 wrote:
I thought kiting was supposed to be mature and friendly.

I'm doing it wrong then :wink: especially the first one.

Jezza wrote:
I have to agree sailor, its bordering on zealotry, but it has been for a while I think.

I double dare you to scan the Revguild site and not mutter the word "cult". Yes, I spelt that word correctly.

Mike.

Jezza
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 am

Anyone with a 'mission statement' scares me tbh. It's nice to know who their god is though, i can see them all praying to the lifesized bronze statue of a man who's trousers are a little bit short in the leg.

ARTICLE VIII. STATEMENT OF NON-DISCRIMINATION

No person will be discriminated against in admission to membership, election or appointment to any post or denied participation in any Club activity on account of race, color, religious beliefs, national origin, political affiliation, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation.

...unless you're chinese...or fly a chinese kite...or make them...or talk about them....or own one.....or sell them....

Flying Fish

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Bought one of the large Alba's (2.8m, yellow - black - white, with some vented panels). I must say that the service from Bing is second to none. Rarely does it take more than an hour to get an answer, from ordering to arrival took just over a week, and the kite itself is top notch in terms of sewing. And all that for just over £90, including shipping, and including lines and handles. Plus that the package managed to stay out of the hands of customs!

kitejan

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 am

Revguild.... good grief.... and I thought the Rev forum was bad.

I fly the Revs (sorry WS4LKs) most of the time (sorry) but all this adoration of a product. It's all a bit, well, sad. It all does read like a cult.

Still on the bright side - there will be a division of the "True Church of Rev" to form the "One and only Rev True Church" soon. They will then spend so much time and effort bickering between themselves (over the exact panel layout of the original 1.5s vs the B series and the glue used in their construction or some other important detail) that everyone else will be left alone to do what we like. You know enjoy flying some kites......

Zippy8

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:45 pm

kitejan wrote:
there will be a division of the "True Church of Rev" to form the "One and only Rev True Church"

Splitters !

Mike.

kitejan

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:30 pm

...after all what have Revolution ever done for us?

steven beasley

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Well... there's the WS4LK for a start....

Have we been here before ?? :-)