Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Kitehouse Sissy
Designer: Sascha Treder

Frame: LE, US and spine 4mm structil. LS Avia Skinny UL
Sail: Icarex, LS tunnels Ripstop Nylon, Dacron Reinforcement
Bridle: 3 point, adjustable at US and LS connectors
Dimensions: 180 cm wide, 75 cm high

Intro:
The first time i saw the Sissy was at the TricksParty in Harsewinkel (Germany) in the fall of 2007. It was Sascha's prototype in Neon Pink Icarex (hence the name "Sissy"). Originally designed as an indoorkite, but it flew very well in the almost dead wind conditions that day.
We really liked that first taste and Sascha promised to send another (white) proto to Paul Breddels in Holland. At one of our indoor meetings we tested the kite and allthough it was very tricky it didn't really feel like an indoor kite. It was lot's of "work" to fly it. Later that year, at a beach meeting, we had zero wind conditions and the the only kite in the air was the Sissy. Most of us decided that we would order one when it was available from Kitehouse. Sascha informed us last summer about the fact that thay wanted to do a run of single colour Sissy's for us. About 10 of us ordered one.

Build quality:
Like all kite made by Kitehouse, the Sissy's build quality is really good with near perfect sewing. The kite is build with only 2 panels, one for each wing. Ripstop nylon is used for the (covered) leading edge tunnels and for the nose reinforcement they've fitted lightweight cordura.

The area arround the center cross and the single standoff is reinforced with a layer of dacron. No leechline was fitted in the trailing edge. The 4mm structil and Skinny UL frame feels quite stiff but the ferrule used for the center cross is a bit short and doesn't fit that well which results in slipping lower spreaders occasionally. Yoyo stoppers and tailweight are not included. A very nice detail is the Kitehouse logo on the tail velcro.

Flight:
The Sissy excels in near zero wind conditions. On short lines (between 10 and 20 meters) it flies without much effort. There's a lot of drive and a reasonable amount of feedback on the lines. Inputs for tricks are small and need to be subtle. The kite excels at flatspin trick and trick based on the backflip. 540's and Slots are flat and floaty and Tazmachines are build into this kite. Just a smal pop after the halfaxle rotation is enough. Double Taz's are within reach. The kite sits very deep in the Backflip and lifts very easily. Lazies, Multilazies, Rolling cascades, Inverses, even Cyniques... they are all there. Rolling up is possible but since there are no stoppers fitted Yoyo's are not recoverable. I have not tried fitting them yet. Backspins are possible with a little tailweight (4 gram).

This kite can definitely make the difference between a lost day or a great day, if the wind dies. Perfect for those summer evenings. Should also be great for urban sessions on plaza's or in the park. Great little kite!

Sub

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks for the review kareloh, is it possible to photo the center-t where you say it doesn't fit properly?

Anyone know the £price please? I couldn't find it on the Kitehouse site :(

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Sub wrote:
Anyone know the £price please? I couldn't find it on the Kitehouse site :(

It doesn't exist on the Kitehouse site so no price, it was made as a special for the Benelux tricks party. I'm trying to work something out with Kitehouse if there's enough interest, but it wont be cheap.......

kareloh
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:15 pm

The center t is made from a standoff connector and a spider (carbon/kevlar) ferrule which is a bit smaller then the internal diameter of the Skinny's.

No price of the kite on the website because it isn't in production yet.

kevspilly

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm

You can build ferrules up with several coats of resin varnish.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Will S

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:57 am

Looks like a very neat kite. Does the extra material along the leading edge give the sail a more efficient design or does it just allow for more LE curve than is in most of the pictures?

Are the lower spreaders skinny ULs or SULs? For a that good in a turtle just the ULs seem like a really flimsy spar for that application...

Miles F

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Hmmm very interesting but I will be getting a Ghost first so I might have to wait out on this one. Though if I was going to order one I'd want that lower spreader problem sorted and the yoyo stops fitted for a big bucks price tag.

Nice kite though.
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

kareloh
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm

@ Will S:
The sail is quite loose indeed, but i reckon it just gives the kite more coupe. The lowerspreaders are stiff enough, since they are short.

@ Miles:
The cross issue isn't really a big deal and easily solved with a fitting ferrule.

ObijuanKenobe

Re: Kitehouse Sissy

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 am

dragonfly wrote:
Kitehouse Sissy

How the heck do they come up with these names? :shock:

See 'intro' paragraph of review, second sentence.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Infinitive

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:57 pm

The LE doesn't appear to have the recurve of the Cosmics. And the Sissy is 70cm smaller in wingspan. The Ghost makes no attempt at being a zero wind kite, it is just as light as a full size kite can sensibly get.

Oh right this thread is ancient. Ah well. 8)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------