Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Mark E Mark

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:37 am

If you have flown the Gemini and like it the Trident is a bit like a super Gemini (in feel). The Talon is more like the Deep Space in feel - though both the Trident and Talon have their own character. Build quality on all of Mark Clements kites is absolutely first class with huge attention to detail - he's also very profesional and easy to do business with :-)

ITBVolks

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:12 pm

I'll agree with what Mark has mentioned. I've got what would be the first one in the states and it's simply a fantastic kite to fly. As mentioned, it's sorta DS'ish but I feel it sits deeper in a turtle and lazy's much better.

Build quality is right in par with the best out there. Panel layout is striking and it simply looks fantastic in the sky. Pull is well controlled as is speed. It's a little quick as the wind comes up but slightly slower than the DS. Framing is STIFF, so you've got instant response but it also means you can really feel bumpy wind. Maybe the stiffest kite I've flown.

Overall, great kite! One of my fav's in the bag right now. Fun fly FS kite with pretty solid precision. Me likes :D

Mark E Mark

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Hiya ITBVolks, good to hear from you. I assume you are referring to the Talon in your post (not the Trident)? How about posting a pic of your kite - not many of them in the States yet.

I've found that the really stiff frame of the Talon really helps with gusty (bumpy) conditions as it causes the kite frame to 'pump' a lot less than is often the case.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:55 pm

I've found that the really stiff frame of the Talon really helps with gusty (bumpy) conditions as it causes the kite frame to 'pump' a lot less than is often the case.

Kind of an unexpected upshot of using 7PT in the lower spreaders which was a really last minute nail-biting decision. I didn't want to have to order them in, but knew it was a better kite with them. Helped the pitch-work without gallons of tail weight.

The proto sail was totally crap and unmanageable in higher winds, but bliss beyond-belief in lighter winds.

The whole higher wind thing really only kicked in when customers started telling me about it!

Go figure.

Frankly, and as much as I love my Tridents, the Talon is a far better purchase, with a much more 'serious' face.

You can come almost near to beating Chris Goff with one in mad wind! :lol:

Mark

ITBVolks

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:55 am

Yes, I'm refering to the Talon. Just got back from flying it again. First time in really good wind. Kite is solid. Really having a good time with it. JL's like a machine! Was out in prolly 7-10'ish dropping into the 5'ish range and flew till it was dark! lol

Kite just flows. The 7pt LS's are a great setup honestly. Like Mark (JoE) was saying, it really adds to the rotational mass without needing a ton of spine weight and adds to the response without being overly harsh. Matter of fact, I think the 5gr setup on the tail with the 7pt's is a perfect balance. Kite pumps well and isn't overly pitchy. Reacts well to inputs. It'll honestly fly to probably 3mph without too much work. Quite impressed!

Mine
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/ ... o-resi.jpg

Mark E Mark

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:56 am

Oh yeah, I have seen it somewhere (GWTW probably) before - very, very nice. In fact my UL is not at alll disimiliar - a bit more asymetric but otherwise... :-)

dubster

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:07 pm

More I hear about these, the more I fancy one!
I'd go for the Talon as suggested by a few of you, just need to get some cash happenin & I'm on it :)
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)