Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Beginner woes

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm

I’m new to the forum and new to the kite scene in general. Trying to get as much practice as I can, but there’s a few issues I’m having.
Firstly, I’m struggling to launch on my own when the winds up a bit. Kite keeps tumbling before I can back to my handles. I’ve seen some techniques on the net where it’s possible to return them to the launch position, but I believe this can be very damaging to the kite over time.
Secondly, I always try start by just getting the kite stable firstly before doing some lazy figure eights etc just to get a feel for it, but inevitably, the kite ends up at the top of the window almost directly above me and I start to lose power and I naturally end up walking backward to try get it back into the centre of the window again. Doesn’t seem quite right.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Beginner woes

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 am

launching is very easy and I hope this makes sense to you. With the kite laid on its belly facing you and the flying lines coming out from under the kite, you need to rotate the kite backwards so that you wrap the lines around the kite. Lay it back on the ground on its belly but now the flying lines will be drapped over the top of the kite. With the kite on its belly nose facing into wind you should be able to walk away from it without the wind blowing it away. Now walk back and take up the flying lines ready to launch. Move backwards slowly and the kite will rotate around on the ground into the correct flying/launch position. Take off and fly. AS regards your flying position this will come with practice. You need to make more use of the wind window. You will find that by flying at the side of the window the wind is not as aggresive. As you progress you will learn to use the whole of the wind window to your advantage. Prism do a very good beginners DVD called Freestyle Pilot which is well worth getting. You do need to be aware though that the kite you have bought is going to be very limited in what it can do and if you want to advance into trick kiting you will probably need to upgrade it fairly soon. PS Dont buy anything else until you have taken advice from forum members, it will save you alot of misery and money in the long run.

Steve
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome :D

Check out the videos from both Prism and Dodd, a few years old now, but plenty to be getting on with.

https://www.youtube.com/user/prismkites
https://www.youtube.com/user/Doddtunes/videos

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you for the information Hawkerhunter and Craig.
Hawkerhunter, just visualising what you’ve suggested makes perfect sense and I can’t see why I didn’t work that out sooner...That’s been a great help and I can feel the frustration ebbing away right now!
I am planning on upgrading my kite in the next couple of months with a view to progressing my trick and freestyle level.
I am quite limited with my kite especially with wind conditions as I have to wait for sine decent air before I can practice... and I need as much practice as I can get at this point.
What would you suggest for an upgrade?
I’m not sure if I should try for an UL do that I can increase fly time for practice or it would be a better bet to maybe go with a Quantum or similar?
Craig, cheers for those clips, they sound like they’re exactly what I need. Any kites you recommend as an upgrade from my Skydog Learn To Fly?

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:59 pm

I would personally go for a good standard kite before looking at UL's, a secondhand Benson Deep Space would be ideal IMO, but there are loads of nice kites around.

Look in the sale section or put up a WTB, also stuff comes up on ebay from time to time too, don't be afraid of asking peoples opinions of different kites.

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Craig, I will certainty consider that and it looks like a great kite. I’ll certainly be looking at all the options and trawling through the up for grabs section!
Really appreciate your input, it’s good to know I’ve got good advice to fall back on.

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Craig has probably mentioned the kite that a lot of good flyers on this forum will recommend so I'm not going to complicate the issue by throwing in some other names. Stay away from Prism.No matter what you read they will only serve as a bridging gap and you will still find your self having to upgrade in the end. I fly with someone who went down the Benson route and they are excellent kites made by one of the best kite makers in the business, Tim Benson in Newquay. It is a kite that you will probably keep and getting one second hand may be difficult for this reason. But it is well worth the money in the long run. Don't be tempted with the Benson Superfly or SuperNova if you get offered. Long story. The Deep Space is the one to get.

As regards the wind frustration then all I can say is welcome to the sport of inland kite flying in the UK. You will get used to the frustration but when you just start out and are full of enthusiasm it is hard to deal with. There are some things that you can do with a Standard kite to help it fly in low wind so don't be put off getting the Std as your first kite.

If you want to see the Deep Space in action click on this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJRJiOZEWs&t=82s
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Just watched that link and that is one awesome kite! I had been on the Benson website and watched a few of their clips - very impressive.
Craig had also recommended the Deep Space as a good option. It looks like that's the way i'm going to go and listen to some good advice. Quality doesn't come cheap though and i guess i'm going to have to try the second hand route initially, but as you say, not many folks want to part with them. I'll have a go and see if I get lucky!

Flying Fish

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:55 pm

You most definitely can't go wrong with a Deep Space!

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks Flying Fish. It looks a sound choice for me in light of the advice i've been given. It looks as though you need to buy lines and accessories separately if you get one new. Any one got any recommendations on lines set and straps for a Deep Space?
Ever tried typing "Deep Space" into the eBay search bar? I've never seen so many Star Trek dvds for sale...

BigT

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:47 am

deep space is lush
but superfly and supernova are quality don't rule them out!

BigT

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

http://www.climaxlines.co.uk/ 25m or 30m 50d protecs are cool and the climax straps are nice
but Tim's knuckle straps are the winner for me

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Take caution on the Superfly advice. Very much depends on which bridal it has fitted. the reverse turbos were better but their have been some experienced flyers on here have had some issues. Stick with the Deep Space unless you know what your doing.
Steve

In the bag

BigT

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:14 pm

have you flown /own a superfly steve ? because as a noob here to the trickery i find myself picking the fly up more than the ds or the others i have especially on stronger wind days

BlueSkyBry
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 pm

I’m sure I’ll get to fly them all over time!
I had my best flying day yet over at Dunstable Downs today.
As you suggested Hawkerhunter,I simply concentrated on getting to know where things were in the window and took it straight back to the power zone as soon as it wanted to stall. Amazing! Pretty much kept it in the air as much as I liked today.
Practiced loads of simple loops and then opposite loops to untangle the lines.
Some good soft landings on the window edge too.
Absolutely exhilarating! My shoulders are killing me and I can’t believe how quickly I got tired! Awesome day!