Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Broady
Topic Author

Really trying with trick kites

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:32 pm

I've met a few people from here and I appreciate the help you offered more now than I did at the time. I've brought a few kites too off the forum, one being the kitehouse sin.
I've pretty much been flying kites since I was a kid but only really got into power kites properly until my accident. Since then I've brought some trick kites and revs and last year I pretty much only flew the revs.

New years resolution was to really give trick kites a go.
I've been out for an hour or two for quite a few days this year and today was the first day that I really started clicking with the axel, most aren't pretty and only a couple have been really good, but its progress and I came home smiling. Still lots to work on but I'm planning on flying trick kites the majority of the time (the revs haven't been out the bag yet this year).

In my dual line bag I have a DS that is knackered, but still flys (noisy!) The sin and a babytana.

Would it be worth getting the HQ Maestro II as an addition to the bag? Were are extremely tight on funds, but I can get it for £70.
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Really trying with trick kites

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Waste of money, the DS and Sin are way better than the HQ.

SteveC

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a Maestro II it's not a bad kite and I enjoy flying it BUT as Craig says, the kites you have are better by far. Pick one kite - probably the Sin if the DS is knackered - and stick with it. If you keep swapping from kite to kite it only makes the learning process harder.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Broady
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:08 pm

I'd like something that is more precision than the sin, so I will still use the sin to learn tricks. What is the Maestro like for precision?
Indian Fighter kites

Broady
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:09 pm

And as for the DS - it really needs a new sale and the spars aren't great...
Indian Fighter kites

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

SteveC wrote:
I have a Maestro II it's not a bad kite and I enjoy flying it BUT as Craig says, the kites you have are better by far. Pick one kite - probably the Sin if the DS is knackered - and stick with it. If you keep swapping from kite to kite it only makes the learning process harder.

This is good advice. The Sin is a very capable all around kite - with a good wind range and it'll fly decent precision.

Its just about perfect for a trick noob because its big, slow and stable/predictable which means its easy to see the effect of your inputs as the kite
transitions and helps you refine your technique.

I would have done much better sticking with a kite, chopping and change slowed my progress down significantly #-o

-Frazer

Broady
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm

My beautiful wife made the purchase on the Maestro before I told her not to worry yet. I'm going to keep it in the kite bag and once I have a few tricks under my belt with the sin I will give it a go. Even if I use it as my kite to let others use once the ds fails completely!
Thanks for all the advice though
Indian Fighter kites