Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Eurocup

Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:11 pm

Well, I just about survived the exciting weather that was conjoured up for this year's Eurocup in Frejus, France. Slightly disappointing to go all that way to the Med, only to get English style weather of rain and strong gusty winds.

For most of the days the wind was gusting up to around 30mph, yet the French flyers were still able to do their full range of tricks as if it were only a nice 6mph. What's more, some even seemed to be still on full sails with no venting - just nappy air brakes. I believe that they were also using weights on the kites as well..

I was using my fully vented Matrix with Wah pads and heavy line and I was still being dragged about and couldn't really do much in the way of tricks.

Anyone know the best setup for performing tricks in high winds?
Dave Morley

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Eurocup

Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:33 pm

mobius wrote:
Anyone know the best setup for performing tricks in high winds?

From what you just said, I would have asked the French :wink:

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:03 am

We did ask the French, but they mumbled something about roast beef and laughed. :shock:

I've not got any of these French kites at the moment and I was wondering whether they were inherently good in strong winds.
Dave Morley

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:10 am

The Nirvana pulls quite hard, but still tracks slowly because of the untensioned TE.

Not sure how well it tricks in high wind, cos I tend to put it away when it gets too windy - it being my fave new kite and all. I'm sure cbh will have something to say.

The vid that comes with it shows some pretty high wind flying, and again, it doesn't seem to stop them tricking.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:47 am

h_i_r_0 wrote:
I'm sure cbh will have something to say.

I'm a wimp, soon as it gets above 10-15 I'm on a vented much more than that I pack my toys up [-(

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:56 am

Dave - how much do they move around when they're flying in high wind? I take it that the competition area is marked out, so presumably they can't go too far downwind without being disqualified?

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:05 pm

h_i_r_0 wrote:
Dave - how much do they move around when they're flying in high wind? I take it that the competition area is marked out, so presumably they can't go too far downwind without being disqualified?

That's right, you have to fly in a marked out arena, so you don't have a great deal of room to run forward.

Watching these guys, it looked as if they were in a 6mph wind. They did not appear to be dragged around or have to run forward to achive stalls and other floaty tricks such as Jacob's Ladders. The only thing that was different was that they were doing everything faster.
Dave Morley