Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Spencer

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Probably should post this in the video & photo section although I thought I would tag on to the end of this thread

Was out flying on Saturday when some guy came and asked me if he can take some photo's of my Talon for a competition he was entering. I said no problem as long as you e mail me the results.

Photo's can be seen here:

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=0KgYax2qIm
Sp.

dubster

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Coolers! Do you get a cut if he wins? :D
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Fizz Box of Tricks std (1997)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

Spencer

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Sp.

dubster

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:24 pm

That's a good pic mate, nice choice of colours too!
Is that a ready made, or did you colourize ??
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

Spencer

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Went for the colourizer option although it took me ages to decide. The different shades of grey looks well nice in the sky especially when the sun catches it. My Girlfriend just bought me an ultra light version :D similar colours although she replaced the purple with teal which looks just as nice
Sp.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Well it seems that Icarex are dropping certain colours from their list (unless you order 1000m of it)! WOW! 1000m of Flo.Pink is really going to set the world on fire!?

Most 'dropped' colours are fairly 'big deal' material, except the loss of Mango, which is a superior yellow to the normal yellow. Also off the list is Magenta which is a crime. It's the purple equivalent of Midnight Blue! Shame on you!

I will be noting unavailable colours by use of an 'X' on my website.

Chocolate, Rubin and Flo.Pink were asking for it. Mango and Magenta had some legs to stand on, bad decision IMO.

I guess there aren't enough creative-colour-users like myself out there to justify mass production.

Oh well. I'm hoping that Icarex introduce a new grey or perhaps a proper darker Red to make up for it....

Mark

Sub

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 pm

I could find Icarex at my local fabric store then maybe they'd sell more of it, instead all I get is ripstop nylon everywhere. How about starting a new fashion. Chav jogging suit out of Flo.Pink Icarex, the bling factor.

dubster

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:21 pm

OH MAN!! Magenta is the only colour (plus black, white & grey ie neutrals) in my fave colourized Talon !! :cry:

What are they like :evil:
Ownage:
Benson Gemini (ex Bryan)
Kingfisher Custom (1996)

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

dubster wrote:
OH MAN!! Magenta is the only colour (plus black, white & grey ie neutrals) in my fave colourized Talon !! :cry:

What are they like :evil:

It's OK, I have some Magenta on the way. :D

Mark

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Spencer wrote:

After he'd doctored the image.
I particulary like how the green buildings in the background have turned yellow.

I think that's an effective colour scheme for the kite but the original photos do not do it justice.

The lighting seems to have been poor and the camera operator has made some strange choices over settings,perhaps due to inexperience with the specific camera,or photography generally.

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:16 pm

The buildings in the background are yellow. There's not usually anything wrong with a little post-production work in a photography competition unless the rules strictly forbid it.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Just a bit over saturated is all.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:00 pm

The kite is exactly right, though; despite the Jupiter background ;)

Mark

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Andy S wrote:
The buildings in the background are yellow..

So possibly the white balance was wrong in the original shot,where said buildings look quite green.
Andy S wrote:
There's not usually anything wrong with a little post-production work in a photography competition unless the rules strictly forbid it.

With a lot of the stuff that comes off my Olympus, post-production work is a necessity. :oops:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm always looking to improve things, so I've made some new changes to the Talon construction that should help.

Some credit goes to Adampol for decimating a Talon over the course of (not even) a year and making me aware of some things! Not that he's a bad flier, he just flew it for what possibly amounts to more time than I have, including prototypes! :lol: That's the addict spirit, Adam!

a) Internally reinforced the lower socket cutout due to a tearing issue. Did the top socket glide as well since it is potentially capable of the same problem.

b) Beefed-up the nose reinforcing (internal) to combat premature Cordura wear where the spar endcaps sit.

c) Upper third of the spine is shrouded in heat-shrink to prevent failed Structil 'spikes' from piercing the sail fabric.

d) Completely seal the kite in Moonie Tape for maximum protection.

^^^ That last one was a joke, alright? ;)

Another little thing is that I am dropping the L/S to Socket 'glide'. It worked perfectly when I used Tradewinds sockets, but is less effective with the larger APA sockets. Any suggestion for a cheap, cone shaped variant would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise, use leader lines.

Mark