Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Crantock 25th June to 27th June 2011

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi all,

Doing a bit of reading and chatting to Hezz I am aware that there are a few who are planning to come down during the last week in June to do a bit of flying / meeting on Crantock Beach. :D :-D :-D :D

I cover Crantock as part of my 'Patch' at work and I know that the RNLI have stopped all kite flying on the beach. This includes Kite boarding and land based kites. SO................. :arrow:

I am currently in talks with the National Trust in a bid to give us flyers (yes I was planning to fly there too!) a bit of grace for that weekend. The NT own the land and although they and the RNLI have no power to physically remove anyone without an injunction, they can call Community Safety / Environmental health and the Police who can issue a s27 direction to leave notice, in which a breach can lead to arrest. :-( :-( :-(

If the NT were not approached, the RNLI would have called the Police and it would have become really messy... :-(

Should my efforts fail, then it will have to be flying after 6pm only as the lifeguards go home. I will update this thread with my actions and fingers crossed, it will all be good! =D>

Pete
HQ Kitebag:-
Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex Spiderweb
Revolution Reflex XX
Flexifoil 8' Pro Team (Rainbow)
Powerhouse Panic
Various 'Highflyers' Kites

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Crantock 25th June to 27th June 2011

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Interesting, the NT are generally kite friendly, and specifically mention it on their website.

I'd like to be there as a tabloid paper reporter when they throw a 4year old of the beach for flying a kite :-)

If you need support from a recognised organisation I can be called upon as STACK national director or BKFA chairman.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm

GOOD NEWS!!

I have received this reply from Mike Simmonds at the National Trust regarding the kite flying on 25th - 27th June on Crantock Beach....

"Pete
Sorry for delay.
As it is not an organised event we see no reason at all why you can’t just crack on and enjoy your kite flying. It was very good of you to run it by us. Have a good time.

Regards
Mike"

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!
Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex XX
Powerhouse Panic

hezz

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Yippee!

Thanks for looking into this Pete ... see you there in June! 8-)

Hezz

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Is your avatar the new 2 line rev, hezz!!!
Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex XX
Powerhouse Panic

hezz

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't only fly Revs ;)

Liking the new team kite, designed by Gee:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=202583406443302&id=118302834871360&aid=51570

(hope the link works, you might have to "Like" the page first..)

Hezz

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Very nice indeed.

Like the logo incorporation in the design, very sweet!

Page worked without signing in so no problems...
Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex XX
Powerhouse Panic

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 pm

I have had another email from Mike Simmonds from the NT... It appears he has spoken with the RNLI Lifeguard Supervisor following my email. Here is what Mike has said...
Pete
I have just had a conversation with the Newquay Lifeguards (paul) who has revealed some past history regarding use of kites / kite buggies / kite surfboards. Apparently before my time the NT have deterred people from kite use here due to a few close calls with kites crashing down on other beach users and the Lifegaurds have been enforcing this, on our request. I knew nothing about this. Anyway their advice is still to deter kite use from all beaches except Watergate Bay, where there is the space and the expectation for this kind of activity.
However he understands that Crantock is also a large beach, especially on big tides, but he was just surprised by the apparent turn around from NT after we said yes to you the other day. They don’t envisage a big problem if it is a low key gathering – ie just a few mates flying kites at far end of sands. However, if it is any more than this and they feel there is risk to others they will step in and ask you to stop.

So you still have our blessing, but just wanted to reiterate to you that it must be very low key. If you think it is not going to be I would suggest that Watergate Bay is the preferred location.

Kind regards
Mike

And this was my response to Mike:-
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your email.. Paul Benney (RNLI) probably spoke to you after I had emailed him with your response a few days ago!

I can assure you that there will be no crashing of kites onto the beach as those who will be flying, fly kites as a genuine hobby/interest and are quite skilled in doing so, unlike a stereotypical holidaymaker who only flies on a beach on his/her hols... To give you an idea on how much of a hobby it really is, I have just bought a new 4 line kite (called a Revolution) and it cost me £220!. Some flyers have kites which cost a lot more than this. One of the ladies that is coming down is the UK’s leading Revolution flyer and is a member of the UK Revolution display team called The Flying Squad.

That said, it literally will be a small group of likeminded flyers gathering on the beach for a social flying session together. These people come from all around the country and communicate via a dedicated kite Flying forum (http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3) who have decided to have a weekend in Cornwall and have a catch-up.

Thanks for letting me know that Paul had been in touch and I shall post your message on the forum and request that the visiting kite flyers act in a considerate manner.

Best Wishes

Pete Sobye

Pete Sobye 30008

Address - Newquay Police Station, Tolcarne Road, Newquay, TR7 1DD
Email - pete.sobye@devonandcornwall.pnn.police.uk
Non emergency number (08452) 777444

Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex XX
Powerhouse Panic

roisinroisin22

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 pm

"but just wanted to reiterate to you that it must be very low key"

How many pilots will constitute "very low key"

Simon

Bill Lancashire
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Just a little more to add after a casual discussion with Lifeguard on another beach;

He was well aware that our kind of kites are NOT like power kites and kitesurfing types. It has been noticed in recent years that flyers of our kind of kites often fly low over the heads of other beach users and whilst most pilots are in full control of their trick kites the general public are not to know this. The Lifesguards are concerned with the public's safety and enjoyment of the beach facilities and having people concerned about the safety of there children with fast flying kites over their heads is not consistent with this.

I have observed during past 'Crantock' gatherings plenty of instances of low flying over peoples' heads, so it's really up to us and how we fly this year if we are going to be allowed to continue.

Bill.
"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows." - Bob Dylan.

Desmo Pete
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for that Bill,

You are totally right... How we fly this year will definitely pave the way on whether we can or cant have another fly/meet in the future..

Keep it sensible folks!!
Revolution 1.5
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Revolution Reflex XX
Powerhouse Panic

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue May 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the work on this, Pete.

Agree with Bill that if the event is to continue as per previous years, individual fliers have to be extra cautious around the public folks; even more cautious than those who've flown at Portsmouth Kite Festival and left the festival with a zero kill-streak! =D>

Actually I hit someone at the Portsmouth Kite Festival once, but I was flying someone's £15 POS bought from a trader, and the guy I hit was a Rev flier so that counts as a positive :lol: j/k ;) Calm down!

Mark

Sub

Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Some people are idiots regardless of how careful you are.

I normally shout a polite warning to people coming towards me - what am I a frikken magnet or something. 8 miles of beach and they insist on walking under where I'm flying, even after I've warned them of the danger.

Remind the RNLI you'll not stomp all over their beach picnic and injure yourself on their nicknacks if they don't walk under where you're flying... simple.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

Sub wrote:
Some people are idiots regardless of how careful you are.

Indeed, but I suggest that the appropriate response is not to behave like an idiot in return. We can still be courteous, considerate and careful, not because they are nice people, but because we are.

hezz

Sat May 07, 2011 6:38 pm

For anyone who's a fan of the band Pendulum, they are playing at the Eden Project on Saturday 25th June as part of the Eden Sessions 2011. Tickets available from http://www.edenproject.com/

I've got mine :-)

Should be a great post-kiting rave-up!!

8)

Hezz