Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 pm

He's old enough to answer for himself by now but isn't using a deliberately informal competition for such a formal title as UK Champion a bit odd ?

Any kite event where a judge makes a quantitive decision and awards a score can hardly be called informal.

The difference between TT and the other formats, and the thing that makes it accessible is that the preparation can be informal. And someone that does not prepare but is a whiz trick flyer can compete on equal terms with someone that prepares a great deal. Please do not lose sight of this.
:D
Andy

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:10 am

aphelps wrote:
Any kite event where a judge makes a quantitive decision and awards a score can hardly be called informal.

And any event where a judge appears to be enjoying a recreational smoke and blowing on a klaxon every now and then is going to have its work cut out to convince an impartial observer of its serious credentials :?

I didn't realise that I was trying to argue any particular point vis a vis any trick format (I'm not BTW). [-(

My view is that STACK/IRB-style competitions are dying on their arse, at least for individual dual lines. If there is a wish to continue having some sort of national champion then maybe it should be decided how you go about this. And for me TT is more at the bit of a laugh end of the spectrum.

YMMV and it is none of my business. I just find these sorts of things interesting. It's a curse. :evil:

Mike.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:04 am

And any event where a judge appears to be enjoying a recreational smoke and blowing on a klaxon every now and then is going to have its work cut out to convince an impartial observer of its serious credentials

Oh I think you'll find that is about as serious as the judge in question can get! He was still able to make judgements and apportion scores. You are absolutely correct that judging of TT is generally more relaxed. I tend to be a little bit more formal about it when I judge.
My view is that STACK/IRB-style competitions are dying on their arse, at least for individual dual lines.

May be they are may be they aren't. IMHO these competitions are all part of a framework to cater for the needs of flyers of different interests and abilities;

TT: Casual competition requiring limited preparation. Ideal entry point into contemporary competition and suitable for trick flyers of all skill levels.

TP: Structured Trick-based competition, established internationally. Does require practice and preparation. Top national competitors can go forward to international competitions when they are organised. Suitable for trick flyers that want to compete at this level in tricks.

IRB: Structured Open Competition required skill in both Tricks and Precision flying. Does require practice and preparation. Top national competitors can go forward to international competitions when they are organised.Suitable for generally able flyers that want to compete at this level.

That is how I see it. At the end of the day any of these formats will continue to exist whilst there are flyers that want to compete in them.
8)
Andy

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:29 am

so is it?
TT ? TP? or IRBC? as a demonstration sport for the 2012 OLYMPICS, time is running out.

I'll get my coat!

fungus :-)

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:02 pm

as a demonstration sport for the 2012 OLYMPICS

It is rumoured that IRBC or TP is on the list for demo at Beijing in 2008.
8)
Andy

Fungus
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:10 pm

I think that I was joking!
But it would shut people up who say, ''you do what?''
Chris Goff , gold medalist?
then again 2012 OLYMPICS is a bit southern!

I've got me coat on and out the door :D

fungus

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:12 pm

Sure, along with the long distance pig-hurling. ;)

Thanks to SpOoC for the image

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:16 pm

aphelps wrote:
as a demonstration sport for the 2012 OLYMPICS

8)

assuming this happens - how does a demo of a sport at the Olympics work?

Are different countries invited?

Is more than one discipline demonstrated?

Is it like a competition but the scores don't count, or medals aren't awarded; or is it more a "hey wow look at this" thing?

Just curious...

(...whether Andy P is pulling my leg here)
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:14 pm

The world team championships is heading over to china in 2007.. a delegation was at the 2005 competition in OR, USA to invite the flyers to attend a demonstration competition .. I presume at the games in 2008. The Bunnies are currently in the process of getting dual citizenship with a number of different countries, in the hope that we get an invite this time :P
Dave Morley

thekiteshoppe

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:12 pm

mobius wrote:
.. a delegation was at the 2005 competition in OR, :P

Dave, I remember that too! He talked, through his translator, at the Banquet.

The Chinese delegation was hoping to put together a proposal for a demo fly during the Opening Ceremony. I don't remember which year, however. :(
The hope is to get exposure of the Sport. :)

Let's hope this happens! :)

Theresa
http://www.thekiteshoppe.com
Co-Sponsor of John Barresi, Team iQuad
And Rum Buddies!

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Hey.. nice to hear from you Theresa :)

I think the Chinese guy went away that evening with a few plastic spoons too ;)
Dave Morley