Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Winter Tricks Party

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:26 pm

Noting on GWTW that the Eastern League have two Tricks Parties planned for the winter season, is anybody up for a UK Tricks Party sometime in February? Venue to be agreed?
Andy

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Ermmm, yup.

Bryan

belblade

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:15 am

Is this the one where you do flying teachings............is so im in
Kris

Andy S
King of FA

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:57 am

Will the results ever be published? :twisted: ;)

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:02 am

The results for every Tricks Party that I have ever organised are announced on the day. The exception being Southampton#2 this year where we all finished so late that we had to pack up before the results could be calculated. In this case the results were announced within 24 hours.
Of course for a once-off event the results would be announced on the day.
:D
Andy

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 am

The results of this:
http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... 5&start=30
were announced on the day, but never (as far as I can see, I might be wrong though) published. And the detailed breakdown that was requested (not unreasonably as this was the first UK trial) was certainly never published.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:40 am

I know. This was the UKs first attempted Tricks Party, but I did not run it. I was not there.

Tricks Party has been run very successfully in the UK since then. I am very keen for any newbies and potential competitors to realise this, rather than have our more recent successes tainted by one early faltering step.

Anyway, back to the subject. Any other takers for a winter Tricks Party event? I will try and work out a date and confirm it to you later on.
Andy

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 am

Sorry Andy - I didn't mean to belittle the work done by you and STACK. My comment was made rather tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps this wasn't the right place or time for it. I certainly didn't mean to put anyone off competing. :oops:

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:36 am

I didn't mean to belittle the work done by you and STACK

Of course I know that. I just needed to keep the right spin on the thread.
Andy

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:38 am

aphelps wrote:
Tricks Party has been run very successfully in the UK since then. I am very keen for any newbies and potential competitors to realise this, rather than have our more recent successes tainted by one early faltering step.

Sorry, I take slight offense at that as someone that helped to judge. Steve put in a lot of work to get this off the ground and it was made clear that it was very much a trial running of the competition format. All the competitors knew this at the time.
Dave Morley

Matt B

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:34 am

At the risk of going off-topic, yes I'd be interested in a winter tricks party.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:09 pm

risk of going off-topic

I agree. Lets move on guys. Matt and Bryan are in. Any other takers?
Andy

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 pm

I think Roy convinced me at Cov that it would be fun and a good intro to more serious competition, so I'll say 'aye'.

Is this the format as described on ABW's site?

Mark

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:31 pm

No. The Tricks Party is a more formalised trick based format, with two disciplines; Compulsory tricks and Ballet/Freestyle. In the Ballet discipline the competitors have to declare in advance the tricks that they intend to deliver, and then produce them in order. There is a Field Director with the flyer who will shout the tricks fo the flyer if necessary.

This is very definitely not the competition described on ABW's site. That is referred to as the "Trick Thang" or the Freestyle competition. There should be a number of these over the winter also. The reason for considering the Tricks Party first is that there is a lot more work involved in organising it (if you want to do it right) compared to the Trick Thang.

Before anybody launches into the pros and cons of running a Tricks Party versus a Trick Thang in the UK, it is one of three competition formats that are available to us now. STACK UK aims to provide at least one comp for each format in both the summer and the winter.

For competition novices, I would recommend the Trick Thang competition as the place to start, if only because there is little preparation required, apart of from lots of flying.

The Tricks Party rules can be found at http://www.tricksparty.com.
Andy

RoyReed

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:21 pm

Jest_of_EVE wrote:
I think Roy convinced me at Cov that it would be fun and a good intro to more serious competition, so I'll say 'aye'.

From having watched you fly, Mark you'd be perfectly OK having a go at Tricks Party. In fact trying it out at a Winter event (no crowd, more laid back) would be a good time to do it. As Andy says, it is a bit more involved rulewise than the Freestyle comp but nowhere near as bad as it sounds from just reading the rules.

The GWTW forum has a section on TP and RonG has a sticky there with links to the rules and trick definitions in English.

I might be up for it Andy, depending on where and when, or I'll judge if you're short on that side.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design